Wreaths Across America 2015
The annual Wreaths Across America event will be held at Arlington National Cemetery Saturday, Dec. 12, 2015. Event organizers are planning to place wreaths throughout the entire cemetery.
The cemetery will be closed to vehicle traffic until 3:00 p.m., this includes access from Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall. Arlington National Cemetery Tours, Arlington’s interpretative bus tour, will not operate that day.
This is a walking event. Participants are encouraged to wear comfortable walking shoes and bring refillable water bottles. Temporary restrooms will be located throughout the cemetery.
Please be prepared for large crowds and long lines. Due to enhanced security, visitors will be subject to random bag searches and may be required to present valid government identification. We recommend that visitors not bring large bags or backpacks into the cemetery.
Schedule of Events
7:00 a.m. — Metro rail opens (system-wide).
8:00 a.m. — Arlington National Cemetery Gates and Welcome Center Parking Garage Open. PLEASE NOTE: The Welcome Center Parking Garage is open for ANC Family Pass and Handicap Pass ONLY
8:15-8:30 a.m. — Wreaths Across America Truck Convoy arrives at Arlington’s Main Gate (time approx.)
9:00 a.m. — Opening Ceremony at the McClellan Gate (at the corner of Eisenhower and McClellan Drives)
9:30 a.m. — Wreath laying begins throughout the cemetery
11:00 a.m. — Wreath laying ceremony at President Kennedy’s grave
11:30 a.m. — Wreath laying ceremony at USS Maine Mast
Noon — Wreath laying ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
For safety reasons, no general public vehicles are allowed inside Arlington National Cemetery until 3:00 p.m. Families with permanent parking passes (ANC Family Passes) can park in the Welcome Center Garage free-of-charge all day. Those with disabilities can also park in the Administration Building parking lot.
Because of the large number of volunteers and lack of adequate parking, participants are highly encouraged to take Metro.
1) Arlington Cemetery: Blue Line; Cemetery entrance: Main Gate off Memorial Avenue.
2) Rosslyn: Orange and Blue Lines; Cemetery entrance: Ord & Weitzel Gate (.7 mi) — Follow signs to Iwo Jima Memorial. Continue south downhill toward cemetery. Entrance is an iron gate across the street from the end of the Iwo Jima Memorial access road.
3) Pentagon: Yellow and Blue Lines; Cemetery entrance: South Service Complex Gate (.7 mi) — Follow signs to Pentagon Memorial. Go west under S. Washington Blvd. Gate on right, off Columbia Pike, downhill from the Air Force Memorial.
4) Pentagon City: Yellow and Blue Lines; Cemetery entrance: South Service Complex Gate (.9 mi) — Follow signs to the Pentagon Memorial. Cross under I-395 pedestrian tunnel. Go west under S. Washington Blvd. Gate on right, off Columbia Pike, downhill from the Air Force Memorial.
Arlington National Cemetery Gates Open for Public Walking Access (clockwise from north):
• Ord & Weitzel Gate (north side) south of the Netherlands Carillon and the Iwo Jima Memorial
• Main Gate (east side) on Memorial Avenue by the Women’s Memorial and Welcome Center entrance
• Welcome Center (east side) accessible on west side of Welcome Center
• South Service Complex Gate off Columbia Pike between the Air Force and Pentagon Memorials
• Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall (northwest side) near the Old Post Chapel (DoD ID required)
For more information, go to www.wreathsacrossamerica.org.